Swimwear for Open Water
There are 2 categories.
- Suits can only be made from textile materials.
- For men, the swimsuit shall not extend above the naval nor below the knees.
- For women, the swimsuit shall not cover the neck, extend past the shoulder nor extend below the knees.
- No rashguards. No armbands. No tape on the body.
Category 2 ( other swimwear and wetsuits)
- All other swimwear (e.g. wetsuits, last year’s technical suits like Blue 70’s, rash guards and arm bands.) are permitted.
- No type of tape on the body is allowed, unless approved by the event director or event referee.
- Once the water temperature reaches 78 degrees, the wetsuits aren’t allowed.
Rules for both Categories
- Allowed: Cap(s), neoprene caps, nose clips, ear plugs, wristwatches and grease.
- Not Allowed: Any device or substance that helps your speed, like webbed gloves, fins, snorkels.
From: USMS Open Water/Long Distance Rules